Little Red Fly Shop R.I.P.

Jed Hollan is a true hero. He managed the Little Red Fly Shop in Heber Springs, AR for several years, but sadly, this Arkansas landmark is no longer in business. This shop was one of the good ones, located on the banks of the Little Red River at the Swinging Bridge Access. I can't tell you how many times I've stopped in to say hello to Jed and his wife Pam and they always greeted me with a smile. They had great gear, great coffee, and great conversation. Jed had an "open vice" policy and was always willing to show you how to tie any pattern pertinent to the Little Red River.  In addition to being an expert on local entomology, Jed was alway willing to show novice or veteran alike how to tie knots, or how to tighten up the loop on your double haul.  Bottom line:  Jed Hollan was an educator, a man more interested in making a legacy by passing on the wonderful passion of fly fishing than making a buck.  The Little Red Fly Shop was heavily involved in community philanthrophy as well, holding such events as charity auctions for hospitals, and river clean-up days.
You might shake your head, curse the woes of our economy, and say Jed is no different than millions of other entrepeneurs that couldn't bear the brunt of economic downturn. But you're wrong. Sure, the economy has taken its toll on everyone's wallet, but the bottom line is this. No matter how bad the economy is, fly fishermen are going to fish. The addiction is simply too strong to do otherwise. For us tailwater tribesmen, this usually involves driving long distances and facing all sorts of hardships when we get there.  On a given weekend I travel twenty plus hours round trip and might get eight hours of fishing, if I'm lucky.  It is always nice to have a "landing point," a comfort station with friendly folks knowledgeable about how to make the most of your trip.  The Little Red Fly Shop was one such place. 

The problem is NOT the economy my friends, it is the USACE. As the Corps continues their aggressive water release schedule in the Little Rock District, the fly fishing industry of Northern Arkansas has been severely damaged. Wade fishermen make up the lion's share of the tourist fishing dollar and if they can't fish, they are going to find somewhere else to go. Meanwhile, the great state of Arkansas continues to lose millions in tourist dollars every year. Somewhere, there has to be a compromise and Jed Hollan and others like myself are on the forefront of at least attempting to get it done. I don't like change, as a matter of fact I am bitter about change. Things will never be the same for me when I make the trek from Mississippi to Heber Springs.  But being the eternal optimist  I still believe that one day I'll catch the generators off and actually get to fish. I still remember bluebird April skies and the prolific caddis hatches at Cow Shoals, Pangburn, or Ramsey access, I remember indian summer Septembers and slapping hoppers against the deep banks above Canoe Creek, slate gray November afternoons catching 16" + browns during spawning season at Swinging Bridge, or experiencing the satisfaction of matching the hatch on a nice BWO, midge or Sulfur hatch on any of the aforementioned points on the Little Red. I long for the good old days, but sadly, I know things will never be the same. 
On the upside, even though the Little Red Fly Shop has closed, Jed continues to live in Heber Springs and fight for his river by proactively petitioning the USACE and Arkansas congressmen and senators to give tourism equal consideration in the equation. Sure the USACE has a job to do and they do it quite well, but there are always more efficient ways of working.
Kudos to Jed! I hope that one day you'll open up the Little Red Fly Shop again, but for now I'll close my eyes and pretend your still there at your vice, showing some novice fly fishermen how to tie a sowbug while explaining the entomological significance of the critter and why the trout love them so much.
Jed, you're one of the good guys! My hat is off to you and I will never forget the many fond memories I've found in your shop.

Jed is a grandfather of three, former newspaper columnist, fly fishing guide and instructor, author of several books on fly fishing including "A Streamside Guide to Fly Fishing the Little Red River" and founding president of the local chapter of Trout Unlimited.

Comments

  1. I also am upset by this i loved his shop and love fishing this river and its hard to do now that i know the shop is not there every time i drive by i find my self looking to see if it has been opened again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Willyfish!
      Was browsing some old posts on my blog "Tailwater Tribe" and saw your comment from a year ago regarding my post about the demise of the Little Red Fly Shop in Heber. I appreciate your passion for the old shop as well. It was truly a special place. Tight Lines to you my friend.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Widespread Panic, Stoneflies, Bouncers, and Gurus...

I Love It When A Plan Comes Together...

Thank God For The Spring!