I Want Caddis!!! (Visions of Rhycophila Dancing in my Head)

Well, the winter is officially over and I'm getting reports from up north that the caddis are beginning to pop their compound peepers above their shucks and the surface film.  I have to say that this is my 2nd favorite hatch of the year (excluding Salmonflies, of course...), but as I spend more time fishing in Arkansas than Montana, this is my favorite first significant hatch of the year...
The Rhycophila Caddis or Green Sedge is a large group of big moth-like bugs that develop underwater from eggs laid by the female in the water.  The eggs hatch into a green, worm-like larva that protects itself by taking small pebbles and covering its body, gluing them together from a web-like protein they produce similar to silk worms or spider webs.  These caddis are members of a large group of "cased caddis"  If you walk in the stream and turn over a few rocks, you can find thousands of these little mummy-like cases attached to them.  These cases protect the vulnerable larvae from washing down the river in the current as they develop into their second stage--the pupae. 
When the weather warms and the metamorphosis process is complete, the caddis emerge from their "shucks" (the exoskeleton from the pupae) and large trout that normally hang out in the depths of deep pools hiding behind structure, now become inhibition-free and now feed voraciously on the emerging pupae and freshly-emerged adults that struggle on the surface film to take their first flight.  In short--it is a fly fisherman's dream shot.  To be at the right place at the right time when the hatch is in full bloom is nothing short of magic. 
I've experienced many caddis hatches, but four instances stick out in my head.  In each of these, I was indeed at the right place at the right time.
The first:  Cow Shoals--Little Red River.  It was April, the weather hot.  Elk hair caddis with a red ass dropper.  My wife Laurie, and I caught 70+ trout that day.  It was non-stop action for hours...
The second:  Pangburn Access--Little Red River--April again, two years later.  Big browns coming out of deep water into skinny riffles to sip the masses of caddisflies coming off.  Caught several in the 16-20" range.
The Third:  Ramsey Access--Little Red River.  The same day as the Pangburn incident.  Got below the big shoal and the bugs started coming off like mad.  It was a frenzied hour of fun.  Lost count on how many I caught.
The Fourth:  Cotter Access--White River.  An hour before dark the bugs grew so thick I couldn't breathe.  Fished another hour in the dark, listening as the trout continued to take my fly well after 9:00.  Finally lost my last EHC and had to go home. 
Honorable Mention:  2010--The Firehole River in Yellowstone National Park.  White Millers and other assorted caddis coming off like crazy...(see the post on the firehole).
As I ready myself for spring break.  I thought I would use this post as a mental exercise of just how much I really love fly fishing, especially for trout--Even if I, as a true, Tailwater Tribesman have to drive hours to do so.  I'm planning a snook trip to Sannibel and another trip out west this summer which I will call the Tailwater Tribe Fly Fishing Tour II.  Until then...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Widespread Panic, Stoneflies, Bouncers, and Gurus...

I Love It When A Plan Comes Together...

Thank God For The Spring!