Widespread Panic: Honorary Tailwater Tribesmen ("Thin Air" to "Fishwater")




As noted in one of my original posts, I am a HUGE Widespread Panic fan.  Although I've never seen them in concert (they're on my list) I do have every studio album they have recorded to date on my iPod.  I recently went browsing at Peaches Record Store in New Orleans and found a Panic CD I didn't have.  "Ain't Life Grand" was recorded and released by the little ol' band from Athens, GA in 1994.  Of course, I had the title cut, "Ain't Life Grand" on another WP album entitled "Choice Cuts."

"Ain't Life Grand" is a Panic staple, but another song on the CD drew my attention, partially due to its title: "Fishwater."  This is a kick-ass song with a great bassline and New Orleans roots as well; even more appropo as I bought the CD in New Orleans.  On my Tailwater Tribe adventures, long roadtrips that involve many hours of travel, I now have enough Widespread Panic on my iPod to spend days on the road and listen to nothing else.  Another great WP song that fits the Tailwater Tribe theme is "Fishing."  This cut comes from another WP album entitled "Ball, an album released in 1998.  I added "Ball" to my collection earlier this year.

I know from what I've read in Widespread CD liner notes that these guys have Montana roots, so I wonder if there are any trout fishermen in the band?  Or better yet, if they fly-fish? After all, there are plenty of great trout streams in Northern Georgia like the Chattahootchie and the Soque, just to name two.  It would make sense as they spend a lot of time touring out west in places like Idaho and Wyoming.  Want to hear another Tailwater twist?  The album "Ball" features another cut entitled "Thin Air" (Smells Like Mississippi) which parallels my own roots from the Magnolia state.  For those of you not familiar with the discography of this epic band, hit the links for all three songs and enjoy.  Maybe you'll add them to your Tailwater Tribe repertoire and cruise to these made-to-order roadtrip tunes.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Widespread Panic, Stoneflies, Bouncers, and Gurus...

I Love It When A Plan Comes Together...

Thank God For The Spring!